The Board of the SportWest is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information which the organisation collects, holds and administers. Personal information is information which directly or indirectly identifies a person.
The purpose of this document is to provide a framework for SportWest in dealing with privacy considerations.
SportWest collects and administers a range of personal information for the purposes of membership registration under the Constitution and personal information relating to office bearers. The organisation is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information it collects, holds and administers.
SportWest recognises the essential right of individuals to have their information administered in ways which they would reasonably expect – protected on one hand and made accessible to them on the other. These privacy values are reflected in and supported by our core values and philosophies.
SportWest is bound by laws which impose specific obligations when it comes to handling information. The organisation has adopted the following principles contained as minimum standards in relation to handling personal information.
- Collect only information which the organisation requires for its primary function;
- Ensure that stakeholders are informed as to why we collect the information and how we administer the information gathered;
- Use and disclose personal information only for our primary functions or a directly related purpose, or for another purpose with the person’s consent;
- Store personal information securely, protecting it from unauthorised access; and
- Provide stakeholders with access to their own information, and the right to seek its correction.
SportWest’s Board is responsible for developing, adopting and reviewing this policy.
SportWest’s CEO is responsible for the implementation of this policy, for monitoring changes in Privacy legislation, and for advising on the need to review or revise this policy as and when the need arises.
- Only collect information that is necessary for the performance and primary function of SportWest.
- Notify stakeholders about why we collect the information and how it is administered.
- Notify stakeholders that this information is accessible to them.
Use and Disclosure
- Only use or disclose information for the primary purpose for which it was collected or a directly related secondary purpose.
- For other uses, SportWest will obtain consent from the affected person.
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the information the organisation collects is accurate, complete, up to date, and relevant to the functions we perform.
Data Security and Retention
- Safeguard the information we collect and store against misuse, loss, unauthorized access and modification.
- Only destroy records in accordance with the organisation’s Records Management Policy.
- Make this information freely available in relevant publications and on the organisation’s website.
Access and Correction
- Ensure individuals have a right to seek access to information held about them and to correct it if it is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up to date.
- Give stakeholders the option of not identifying themselves when completing evaluation forms or opinion surveys.
Making information available to other organisations
- Only release personal information about a person with that person’s express permission. For personal information to be released, the person concerned must sign a release form.
- Release information to third parties where it is requested by the person concerned.